Skilled independent visa (Subclass 189)

About Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189):

Skilled Independent Visa is a permanent visa. You do not need a sponsor or nominator for this visa. It lets you stay in Australia indefinitely, enroll in Australia's public health care scheme, if eligible, apply for Australian citizenship. Skilled Independent visa (Subclass 189) applicants must obtain a minimum of 65 points on the point assessment.

Two Stream of Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189):

  1. Point tested stream
  2. New Zealand stream

Point tested stream

About Point tested stream:

This visa lets invited workers with skills we need, to live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.

Eligibility of Point tested stream:

  • Must have an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • Must have a suitable skills assessment on that occupation
  • Must be aged under 45 when we invite you to apply for the visa
  • Obtain at least 65 points
  • Be invited to apply
  • Must have Competent English
  • Meet health and character requirements.

New Zealand stream

About New Zealand stream:

This visa lets eligible New Zealand citizens who have demonstrated commitment and contribution to Australia, live and work in Australia permanently.

Eligibility of New Zealand stream:

  • Must hold Special Category (subclass 444) visa
  • Must have lived in Australia for at least the last 5 years
  • Must have started living in Australia on or before 19 February 2016
  • Satisfy the income requirement or exemptions applied
  • Meet health and character requirements.

Including family on skilled independent visa (subclass 189):

You can include members of the family unit with your visa application at the time of your application, before application decision have been made or after you have granted your visa. There is no age requirement for this visa, but all family members aged 18 years or older must either have functional English or should pay a Second VAC.

All family members who apply for the visa must meet the Health and Character Requirements of the Australian Government.

Contact Us

Blog posts