Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590)

What is Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590)?

This student guardian visa subclass 590 applicable for student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older who wish to come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or older due to exceptional circumstances. Learn more

Eligibility of Student Guardian visa (subclass 590)?

To be Eligible for this visa you must have the followings:

  • You Must be a parent, a custodian or a relative
  • You must be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and support to the student.
  • Have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia for meeting the costs and expenses of yourself, your accompanying family members and in most cases, the student visa holder.
  • Must make adequate arrangements for the accommodation, support and welfare of any member of your family who is aged 6 to 18 years either coming with you to Australia or stay overseas.
  • Must maintain adequate health cover for the whole of your stay if you are granted this visa. Your insurance should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant(GTE) requirement and satisfy that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
  • Meet the Australian government’s Health and Character requirements.
  • In the best interests of the applicant under 18 years of age.

Application process of student guardian visa (subclass 590)?

You must apply for this visa online. You can apply while you are in or outside of Australia. Applicant may apply

  • At the same time as the student visa application, or
  • After the student has been applied, or
  • After the student’s has been granted.

For your child’s enrolment in Australian school to lodging both of your visa application, you may contact Vista Migration and Education Services - helping international students migrate to Australia!

Benefits of student guardian visa subclass 590?

  • Provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under the age of 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional circumstances)
  • Care for more than one student
  • Study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid. But you can't leave Australia without the Student visa holder unless you have made Alternative welfare arrangements.
  • Can applying for a further Student Guardian visa subclass 590 if necessary.

Note: You would not have work rights while you are on this visa.

Contact Us

Blog posts