Student visa (Subclass 500)

What is the Student Visa (subclass 500)?

Student Visa allows international students to study in Australia.

Student Visa (subclass 500) allows international students to study full-time in CRICOS registered courses in Australia.

While there is no age limitation for a student who wants to study course above Higher Secondary school level, but for a school student (not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.

Recent Changes

Restriction on onshore Student visa application from 1 july 2024:

From 1 July 2024, Temporary Graduate (subclass 485), Visitor (subclass 600/601/602/651) and Maritime Crew(988) visa holders will be unable to apply for a Student visa while in Australia. In addition to existing visas from which it is already not possible to apply for a Student visa onshore. For the complete list of visa holders that will be unable to apply for a Student visa onshore, please visit this link.

English Language Requirements changes:

The new English language requirements apply to all Student visa applications lodged on and after the 23 March 2024.
Minimum English test score:
  • For a Student visa - IELTS test score 6.0 (or its equivalent).
  • For students undertaking university foundation, pathway programs or 10 weeks of ELICOS - IELTS 5.5 (or equivalent)
  • For students undertaking 20 weeks of ELICOSor foundation extended program- IELTS 5. (or equivalent)
  • Students who are Exempt dose not require to provide an English test score.
  • For more details please visit this link.
Work restrictions for student visa holders from 1 July 2023:

The Government has announced that student visa holders working in the aged care sector on 9 May 2023 can continue to work unrestricted hours in the aged care sector until 31 December 2023. From 1 July 2023, work restrictions for student visa holders will be re-introduced and capped at 48 hours per fortnight. For more information see Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders. The Australian Government is streamlining requirements for temporary visa applicants in Australia. Check if you still need to undertake a medical examination and chest x-ray.

Length of stay for a Student Visa (subclass 500)?

Student Visa is a temporary visa to study, which could be granted up to 5 years. Your length of stay will determine by the type of course and its length. If for some reason you cannot complete your course on time or you may want to study further, you must apply for a new Student visa.

Only Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 can only be granted a student visa for a maximum of 2 years.

Can I Include my family members on my visa application?

You can include your partner and dependent children with your visa application. If your child is 18 years or above and not dependent on you, they must apply for their own student visa. You must declare your family members in your student visa application even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not declare your family members in your student visa application, your family members will not be eligible for a student visa to join you in Australia as a dependent applicant on that granted student visa, unless they born or become a family member after your visa has been granted. If you or accompanying family member are under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place to be eligible for a student visa.

If you get married or entered in a De factor relationship after your student visa approved, or your family members want to join with you in Australia at a later time, they can apply as a subsequent entrant later.

Student Visa Eligibility??

To be eligible for Student visa (subclass 500) you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a certain age (For school student only)
  • ~~less than 17 years old when you beginYear 9
  • ~~less than 18 years old when you beginYear 10
  • ~~less than 19 years old when you beginYear 11
  • ~~less than 20 years old when you beginYear 12
  • Be enrolled in a CRICOS registered course.
  • Have an active Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)
  • Make welfare arrangements (if you or accompanying family member are under 18 years)
  • Have adequate health insurance
    • You and your family members must have and maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the whole of your stay in Australia (entire COE duration). It is recomended to have at least 3 months extended cover than your COE. If your COE finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November to December) then up to 15 March of the following year.
    • Students from some specific countries are exempt from OSHC as Australi have special arrangements with their own national schemes/ Reciprocal Health Care Agreements.
    • OSHC policies assist to cover the cost of hospital and medical treatment. Benefits are also paid for ambulance services. The minimum requirements of a OSHC policy are set out in the OSHC Deed.
    • Applying outside Australia: Your cover must start from the day you and your family arrive in Australia, not the day your course starts.
    • Before you purchase your OSHC you must compare the cover to match with your needs.
    • Compare your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Today.
  • Have not held a certain visa: If you have one of these visas, you can't apply for a student visa while you are in Australia
    • Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
    • Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
    • Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a student visa in Australia
    • Transit visa (subclass 771)
    • Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or the Approved Destination Status stream
  • Have Financial capacity for your study in Australia:
  • From 10 May 2024,financial requirements have increased. for more details visit this link. Visa applicant must provide either, sufficient funds to cover travel costs and 12 months of living and tuition fees for all visa applicants and school costs for any school aged dependants, or evidence that applicant's spouse or parents are willing to support and they had a personal annual income of at least AUD 87,856.00 in the 12 months immediately before you apply for single students or at least AUD 102,500.00 for students that are accompanied by family members.
  • an Acceptance Advice of Secondary Exchange Students form for secondary exchange students only.
  • a letter of support from Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade or Department of Defence
    • Work out how much money you need for the visa: At a minimum, visa applicant must have enough money to pay for the Travel cost + 12 months of your course fees + 12 months of living costs + school fees for any school-age children.
      • 12-month living costs for Australia:
        • a students or guardians - AUD 29,710.00
        • a partner coming with you - AUD 10,394.00
        • a child coming with you - AUD 4,449.00
  • Meet the Genuine Student (GS) requirement: ​​​​
    • The government has replaced the Genuine Temporary Entrant(GTE) requirement for student visa with a Genuine Student (GS) requirement.These changes affect those visa applications lodged on or after 23 March2024. The Genuine Student (GS) is intended to include students who,after studying in Australia, develop skills Australia needs and who then go onto apply for permanent residence.All applicants for a student visa must be a genuine applicant for entry. They must stay as a student and be able to show an understanding that studying in Australia is the primary reason of their student visa.
    • To be granted a student visa, all applicants must demonstrate they satisfy the Genuine Student (GS) criterion or the genuine student dependent criterion. Student visa application (online) added with the following 4 questions to address the GS criteria.
      • Give details of the applicant’s current circumstances. This includes ties to family, community, employment and economic circumstances.
      • Explain why the applicant wishes to study this course in Australia with this particular education provider. This must also explain their understanding of the requirements of the intended course and studying and living in Australia.
      • Explain how completing the course will be of benefit to the applicant.
      • Give details of any other relevant information the applicant would like to include.
    • Student's response must be written in English, with a maximum of 150words per question. There is additional question for those applicants who havepreviously held a student visa (history of the applicant's study record in Australia)or those who are lodging an application in Australia from a non-student visa.
    • Students must provide supporting documents with their student visa application to support their responses above. A guideline of GenuineStudent (GS) is provided by the Department of Home Affairs.
  • Meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements: Student visa applicant and any family members who apply for the student visa must meet Australian immigration health requirement & character requirement.
  • Not have had a visa refused or cancelled:
  • ~~Applying inside Australia: You are not be eligible to apply for another Australian student visa if your visa application was refused or cancelled since last entering Australia. But you might be eligible to apply for some other visas. To be granted a visa, you must meet all relevant visa eligibility criteria.
  • ~~Applying outside Australia: Visa could be refused for many reasons. As long as you can fulfil the visa requirement and can provide sufficient supporting evidence you may apply for your student visa again when you are ready.

Benefits of the Student visa (subclass 500):

The student visa is a temporary visa, and lasts for the duration of your studies, with a maximum validity period of five years.

  • Bring your family with you or joing later.
  • Multiple travel in and out of Australia during the Student visa duration.
  • Work up to 48 hours a fortnight when course of study or training is in session.
  • Full time work rights while course not in session
  • Student dependent visa holder also have unlimited/limited work rights depending on the primary visa holders course of study.
  • Eligibility for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) for 18 months to up to 6 years after courese completion, T&cs apply.
  • Extra migration points for study in Australia.
  • Opportunity for skilled migration in Australia, if you manage to have enough points for your chosen profession listed on the Skilled Occupation List.

Student Visa (subclass 500) Application process:

To Find what documents/evidence will be required with you student visa application please use the Document Checklist Tool. Before you use this tool please read the disclaimer.

Student visa must apply online. You can apply Student visa while you are in or outside of Australia.

If your requrie our assistacne for your University/College admission and student visa application, you may contact us, Vista Migration and Education Services have proven track reacord of helping international students successfully for their Student Visa & Admission matters.

Note: You might be able to apply for a new student visa if it has been less than 28 days since your Student Visa expired and provided this has not happened before.

Contact Us

Blog posts